Please note the workshop due to run on Oct 31 & Nov 1 2015 has been postponed. You you are interested in signing up for this workshop please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest. We will try and match up a date for interested people to attend, hopefully in early 2016.
Wollongong Weekend Workshop
With Artist Joanne Barby
Explore PanPastels, new techniques & blocking in colour
Learn to truly “SEE” your subject all while having fun creating!
Joanne Barby is at the forefront when it comes to working with PanPanstels. The South Coast artist has been running workshops nationally and internationally using this dry blendable medium since their release in Australia. Joanne’s inspiration comes from truly “seeing” the beauty of life that surrounds us, from the everyday object in a still life with its colours, shapes and shadows. To the feminine beauty she strives to capture in the girls that she paints and draws.
Read some of the reviewd from her USA workshop at Donna Downey Studio
AN OVERVIEW OF WHAT WILL BE COVERED
- A brief introduction
- We will touch on reference material, inspiration and finding character/personality in a subject. Getting everyone excited and inspired to start, squashing any fears and getting to know everyone through discussion.
- Then straight into quick demo by me, whilst discussing my process, I hope to include topics like:
- Talking about PanPastels and why I love them!
- The joy of working with bright colours and how this affects your mood!
- And finally papers, their tooth for pastel and what surfaces to work on.
- Then for some fun, quick, large, warm up exercises. Jumping into colourful playtime with PanPastels! Letting go of fear and just let loose!
Working off the same reference, step-by-step I will take you through:
- Firstly composition, blocking in and measuring tips using colour and shapes.
- Getting correct placement of the subjects eyes, etc
- After looking for colours, then it’s on to depth and tones. It doesn’t have to be actually right or what your brain is telling you it should be, just go with it, and have fun!
- We will talk over the different shaped PanPastel Tools and what different markings and effects they make.
- Adding highlights to bring the picture to life, with a Pastel stick or Pastel Pencil.
- Creating a flow to the picture, make the viewers eye be drawn around the picture. For example, in the above picture from beak to the eye and down around to the neck, all from the flow of the feathers.
- Again to start: fun, quick, large, warm up exercises.
- will encourage you to jump into something new, or if you prefer to continue to work on the same piece, I will show you how to refine all the little details.
- The next subject can be anything of your choosing a portrait, a still life, etc. The same principals of the demonstration apply to all subject matters.
- Lunch time; we will review anything further you would like to gain from the workshop.
- Sunday afternoon we will refine each artwork and make sure each person has left with a new understanding of what is possible and a real sense of achievement and inspiration.
Although materials will be supplied Joanne recommends bringing along a few items from the materials list. Anchors Aweigh Art Studio is a stockist of PanPastels, please email email@example.com to make an order or come instore.
As this workshop is taught by an external tutor a minimum of 9 participants are required for the course to run.
Spots will be held only once payment is made. Refunds will be granted if the course is cancelled.
Some snacks provided. BYO drinks.